Mommy’s Little Bakers :)
Yesterday was my mom’s birthday so the boys and I worked together to make her a special treat. Chocolate chip cookies! We made them from scratch too this time. Man has it been a long time since I’ve done that. lol The boys and I had fun though with it and it also offered up another chance to work on some of their social skills and tone up their aim ability and gross motor skills. We did a little of schooling type lessons like counting and sequencing in it too, but for the most part I tried to just focus on patience, team work, fine and gross motor, and over all social abilities. Those are still some weak areas for my two little guys so I try to find ways to help them practice as much as I can. : )
David was really hyper and fidgety today which made it hard to work with him in the kitchen so I have to admit I sent him away to go play more than a few times during the process. His struggle to stop bouncing all over the place and running around was constantly causing me to trip or run into things. I was a bit cranky and on edge today due to some physical problems (a couple of them being weak ANS stability and my EDS flaring up in various places) and so I wasn’t doing to well with my patience level for David’s over excessive energy and excitement. A few breaks though did us both a lot of good and to be honest, David did really well while helping me for the most part. : )
Below, I will post the recipie we used in case some of you would like to try it out too. It’s not mine though. I got it off the back of Nestlé choclate baking chips. lol First though, I hope you all enjoy these pictures from our baking adventure. To see the full adventure, please check out our facebook page.
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12 ounce package) semi sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped nuts (I skipped this part)
1) Set oven to 375 degrees (Farenheit) and start gathering ingredients. Tip: To aid in softening the butter, unwrap it and set it on stove top with wrapper underneath while oven is pre-heating. This will help it be soft enough by the time you’re ready to mix it in. : )
2) Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Tip: If you don’t have access to an electric mixer, mix batter together with either a kitchen fork or a butter knife.
3) Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and gradually mix them into batter.
4) Stir in the chocolate morsels (and nuts if you chose to add those in)
5) Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Tip: To help control mess and to make clean up easier, cover cookie/baking sheets with tinfoil. Be sure the shiny side is facing up.
6) Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes and then remove to wire racks for cooling. Tip: To aid in extra softness, pull from oven about 30 seconds to a minute early and set on top of stove being sure to leave oven on. They will continue to bake slowly but this way the bottoms won’t burn and the insides tend to stay softer. Go ahead and move them to the cooling racks after a minute or two.