We Have An Award! :)
Thank-you so much to my fellow blogger, Gentlestitches (please check her out, she’s got a great blog and cool crafts), for honoring me with a very cool award for my blog here at An Autism Diary. 🙂 She has nominated me for the Liebster Award with the following statement:
Dog for David. Because David needs a dog and I need to read he has one. And they are two great kids with an awesome Mum.
I humbly want to say thank-you to both Gentlestitches as well as all of my followers/readers here for helping this blog thrive and grow. I would never have been able to stick with this if it wasn’t for the support and encouragement from all of you. 🙂
And now onto the rules for receiving/accepting this great honor (most of which seem to be centered on helping others get to know the writer behind the blog a little better). 😉
Here are the rules from what I understand (based on seeing a quick write up of them on another blog I follow that was honored with this award too )
2) You must display the Liebster heart on your blog
3) You should nominate 3 to 5 up-and-coming blogs (some rule variations say 11) with less than 200 subscribers
4) Each person must post 11 things about themselves
5) Answer the questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you
6) Create 11 questions for those you nominate to answer
7) Notify your nominees and provide a link back to your post
8) And no tag backs (the point is to try and highlight new bloggers so let’s spread the support 🙂 )
Step 1 and 2
Ok. First off, thanks once again to Gentlestitches for this award. I truly appreciate it. : ) I am going to need some help figuring out how to get the award onto my sidebar though. lol A little help for the novice blogger?
Step 3 (pending)
I will get to my choice of nominees at the end (I am not quite sure how to check the followers count so please forgive me if I end up with some that are over it).
11 things about me huh? You’re sure I can’t just use David? lol Okay, okay I know. It’s supposed to help get a better look at the writer so I will go along with it. lol Here they are (in no particular order):
1) I have a condition known as Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which affects my connective tissues and joint stability. It also has a grip on my health which is rarely a good thing but I am learning to live with it.
2) When I was in 6th grade, I won an essay contest about my neighborhood and was invited to read it at a conference. I also was on the news and in the newspaper. : )
3) My faith in God and Jesus is very important to me and has gotten me through many a dark valley as well as added joy to my mountain tops. : )
4) I LOVE crafts 🙂 I don’t get to do them as much as I used to, but I still make time for them as often as I can. I also love a variety of crafts. Beading, sewing, painting, sculpting, ceramics, paper mache, weaving, stained glass, etc, etc. I could go on forever. lol 😉 I must admit though that as much as I love crafts, I am not that great at doing a lot of them. I always have fun though and I figure that’s the main point for me. : )
5) My biggest dream (outside of the dreams I have for my family and children) is to have my own craft shop someday where I can sell supplies for various crafts as well as my own creations and the creations of local home-based crafters. I also want it to be a small little shop where people in the community can come to gather around and share their love of crafting and make new friends. 🙂
6) I won a photography and essay contest for our local PBS channel when I was around 20 and was featured on t.v. and in their newsletter. Their prize was a gift certificate to the local arts and crafts studio which I redeemed for art classes. That is the main reason I have been able to learn and try out so many new and various crafts. 🙂
7) I have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), and though now it is mild in comparison to what it was thanks to treatment I received (and highly reccomend) around the age of 21, I used to have a debilitatingly severe case which is why I am able to relate and connect so deeply with a lot of David’s sensory based issues and needs.
8) I once traveled to local communities within my county, with the Occupational Therapist that treated me, to help teach conferences and classes on SPD and to raise awareness about the realities of it for someone inflicted, and also about the available treatments. We called our class “The Sensory Cafe”. I still wish I could get the files back from that off an old computer that crashed.
9) I love music and am very eclectic when it comes to my selection. What matters most to me is the words (if there are any) being wholesome and true. My favorite styles of music include Contemporary Christian, Instrumental, Country, Classical, Oldies, and Barber Shop. I have favorite songs though in an even wider range of styles. : )
10) I am the only one I know of that has been labeled as having a charcoal thumb in the area of gardening. “Black thumb” wasn’t good enough I guess. lol
11) I love sunsets and sunrises. Although the only time I get to see a sunrise is when I’ve pulled an all-nighter or got waken up way too early for my taste 😉
Okay, my A.D.O.S. definitely got in the way of me finishing that list in a timely manner. lol Now onto the next one. Let’s hope I can stay more focused this time. 😉
Answers the questions from Gentlestitches : )
1) What is the best thing about living where you do? I like the sunsets and sunrises and the fact you can see them from miles away and from start to finish due to the flatness of the area. I am not a general lover of the flat landscape, but it definitely comes in handy for sunsets and sunrises. : )
2) Tell me about an article of clothing you love or have loved. When my husband was away on duty I used to curl up in one of his old army jackets or an old sweatshirt of his to help ease the pain of missing him. It kind of helped make it feel like he wasn’t so far away at the moment.
3) What is your favorite time of the day? I would have to say late afternoon/early evening. (Typically between 4 and 7)
4) Name three things you are grateful for. Jesus, my children, and lessons learned.
5) What was a book you read recently that you enjoyed? I love reading books and used to be an avid reader, but over the last few years I have to admit I haven’t picked up near the amount of books as I used to. The most recent book I have read though is Beth Moore’s Get Out Of That Pit. I have also loved many a Max Lucado book (including his children’s series), C.S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia, and the Dakota Treasures series by Lauraine Snelling to name a few. 🙂
6) Name something you have made with your hands recently. Three seedbead bracelets and one of my memory boxes (a personal trademark craft of mine). 🙂 I also have done a lot baking recently.
7) Name two people in your life that always inspire and energize you. One would definitely have to be my son David, as much of a handful as he is, because his innoncence and passion for life in spite of all his struggles is truly inspirational for me. Another would be my Grandma Jane whose life continues to shape, mold, and encourage mine in the areas of faith, love, and crafts even after she has gone home to Heaven.
8) What have you found surprising in the blogging world? The reach. I have been repeatedly both humbled and awed by the reach of David’s story through this blog. We have readers and followers now from a total of 22 different countries and counting. 🙂 That just floors me.
9) One thing (of the many things) you are good at. Looking at others with my heart and not just my eyes.
10) One thing you would like to be good at. Cooking. I think it’s safe to say David and Joshua would like me to be better at this too. 😉 lol
11) Something you have always loved and believe you will always love. An old stuffed dog that I have had since I was 5. Her name is Joy. 🙂
Step 3 (revealed)
My nominations go to (in no particular order):
A HomeSchool Mom : Because I love her writing and she always has neat stories to share about faith, family, and homeschooling.
Little Reader Book Reviews and More : A recent find of mine who happens to be the daughter of the first. I truly enjoy this young girl’s writings and her book reviews. 🙂
An Autism Dad : An Autism blog from another country written from a Dad’s perspective. I especially enjoy his posts about his son or things directly related to him and his son. 🙂
Hot Wheels Goes To… : I find this blog so inspiring and a fun read. The writer is a young lady who happens to be disabled, but refuses to let that stop her from enjoying life to the fullest. Her blog tells of her worldwide travels as well as her traveling tips she’s learned along the way. : )
Totally Random : This is my best friend’s blog and I am nominating her because I like how she’s not afraid to just write about her life. Not all blogs need a main subject theme to strictly adhere to in order to be good and hers is an example of that. I guess you could say hers does have a theme though. The theme of life. 🙂
Did I Earn A Smile? : This blog is full of optimism and looking on the bright side even though it’s main subject is a young boy (the writer’s son) with Autism who has had battles with brain cancer/tumors and a recent surgery and he is only in 2nd grade. Her faith, love, and joy shining through the storm clouds are inspiring to me and her son is wonderful. 🙂
A Few Clicks to a Digital Fingerprint : This guy keeps me thinking and I enjoy his writings and view points 🙂
Your interview! 😉
1) What/who inspired or encouraged you to start blogging?
2) What is your favorite post that you’ve written and why? (share link in case it’s one I missed 😉 )
3) What are your hobbies that you enjoy when not blogging?
4) What is your favorite childhood memory?
5) What is your favorite season and why?
6) Who in your life inspires you the most and why?
7) Name at least three things you are thankful for.
8) Where are you from and what do you like most about it?
9) What is your strongest talent?
10) If you could travel anywhere in the world without money or accomodations being an issue, where would you like to go most and why?
11) Do you have a favorite food or snack? What is it?
Have fun everyone! 🙂 And don’t forget to send me the link when you’re finished so I can make sure to see it. 🙂